Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"The Day I Shot Cupid: Hello, My Name Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and I'm a Love-aholic" By (of course) Jennifer Love Hewitt

The Day I Shot Cupid was just what I expected... & so much more! It is charming, honest, zany, and the best part: real. Jennifer Love Hewitt draws for her many years of dating experience to teach (or remind) her readers how to tackle the game of love with grace and humor. Expect adorable sassy graphics, short light chapters, great tips (on everything from cellulite to feelings of worthlessness), and a quirky jovial tone. The Day I Shot Cupid is even peppered with some man-truths and celebrity quotes, every woman can giggle and learn from, and believe me... I giggled plenty!

I've always been a fan of JHL, and yes I watch Ghost Whisperer religiously, but I really connected with her from this book. She talks about the same self-esteem issues, the attitude adjustments, and the highs and lows of dating. Along with literally laughing out loud, I also teared up in parts that I knew reflected too much of myself, especially the W.O.R.T.H. chapter (Women Over Relationships That Hurt). But I plan to put on my "Big-Girl Pants" and "Get Over It!", I'm going to learn to love myself (for realz this time) and then maybe someone will love me (for realz this time too). I plan to do Stevie's (JHL's trainer) workout plan tiara and all, consider Jaime Kennedy's advice of my badonkadonk's size, and (#99 on the DZP) I will identify 100 things that makes me happy... I just don't think I'll be doing the vagazzaling (sorry JHL, but seriously Jenn... call me! Let's do cocktails!!)

"For any woman who has ever bought a self-help book and wondered why she bothered. (P.S. Now that I know he's just not that into me, where do I go from there? Yeah, thanks for that advice.)"

From the Book itself:
Jennifer Love Hewitt is a self-proclaimed "love-aholic" and hopeless romantic (her middle name is Love, after all!). She has been lucky and unlucky in love, and lived to tell—and she's done it all in the spotlight. Much has been written about her love life—some true, most made up to sell magazines. Now Hewitt shares the real story of what she's learned navigating the dangerous dating waters.

In The Day I Shot Cupid, Hewitt offers her hard-won wisdom and tells us how to embrace love with both feet on the ground. First, we have to shoot Cupid. We have to believe that happily-ever-after is hard work—it's not all flowers and symphonies and floating hearts.

Wise and wry and refreshingly honest, Hewitt talks about how to pick the right guy and how to know when to let the wrong ones go free, and she offers some surprising truths about the opposite sex.

From twenty things to do after a breakup, to ten things to do before a date, to the perils of text flirting (Note: You are waiting. By the phone. For his response.), Hewitt uses stories and dating secrets to illustrate the idiotic, romantic, crazy, depressing, hilarious, awkward, glorious moments we all experience in relationships. Funny, quirky, and empowering, The Day I Shot Cupid deserves a place on every woman's nightstand, bookshelf, or coffee table, or tucked inside her oversized designer handbag.

"Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful." - Anonymous (From The Day I Shot Cupid)

Oh! And another book down for the DZP!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this book hit home for you... and I agree and believe with giving yourself some tough love and put on your big-girl pants on and get over it! It's something I think we already know, and we give the same advice out to our friends, but its a whole other accomplishment to decide to do it for yourself.
    P.S. I'm def not against vagazzling haha - I've done my research and dedicated an entire post to it - i'm down. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to go look for your post... the jury still out for me! hahaa We'll have to talk more come next thursday! lol

    ReplyDelete