Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday Taste Buds: Mom's Chicken Soup


My Mom’s Chicken Soup


Whenever I felt under the weather, my mother always made me chicken soup to make me feel better. Made from scratch and past down from her mother, this soup has always had a better effect than any cold medicine ever will on me! Just the smells from it can make you feel better!


Now that I’m older and my mother is not always there for me whenever I get sick, I have to make it for myself. Forever from her heart she past the soup’s recipe to me which I plan to give to my children (and to you too!) The ingredients she said ‘should be measured by senses’. No teaspoon or measuring cup could tell her how much was right for her soup. You make it to your liking.

There are so many different kinds of chicken soup, made from several grandmothers and mothers all over the world, yet whenever I start to sniffle, or I hear a cough, I grab my “mommy’s recipe” every time. Maybe that’s why I have a constant stock of chicken broth in my cupboard!


What you’ll need:

• 1 whole chicken
• 2 to 3 boxes of organic chicken broth
• “Better than Bullion” chicken (2 spoonfuls)
• Seasoning: poultry seasoning, thyme, 2 bay leaves, oregano, marjoram, pepper, and a little bit of salt.
• Vegetables: carrots, celery (keep leaves), 2 onions, potatoes
• 2 large cooking pots
• Strainer, Colander
• Optional: macaroni/egg noodles, rice

Directions:

1. Wash chicken. Take out the gizzards, leftover feathers, and extra fat.

2. In one pot, add broth to cover the chicken. Add onions (cut one onion into fourths), and celery leaves.

3. Add seasoning and bullion
4. Bring to a boil, and then set to simmer. Cook till chicken comes off the bone.

5. In the other pot, place colander in to strain broth into it from the first pot. Let the chicken and vegetables cool down in strainer.

6. Tear off chicken meat and put into pot with the broth. Throw away bones, skin, and the old/used vegetables.

7. Cut carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. Put into pot. Cook till vegetables are done.

Optional: Cook macaroni or egg noodles in other pot, then add to soup once cooked, or put soup over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment